Saturday, April 21, 2007

The rise and fall of a merchant in Joo Chiat....

Last Friday I proudly proclaimed, to my colleague, that I practically grew in Joo Chiat and knew it like the back of my hand. Of course I did since I lived in one of the shophouse along that stretch.

Like I blogged before, my dad owned a business along it since the mid 1960s. The shop no longer exist (for sad reasons) but my younger brother has established another shop running his own business in recent years. Yeah, so you can say our family still has a presence there.

My dad had a pretty successful glass merchant business but squandered it all away when he deserted the business that brought him his riches, preferring to make a quick buck through properties and shares. Till today, I am very disappointed (in fact, angry) at how much hurt and grief he brought to the family.

In fact, his actions severely affected my outlook towards life and family, so much so that I was having serious reservations towards starting my own family and having children. Sadly, these contributed to the downfall of my own marriage.

In recent years, I have learned to live and let die..... I may no longer be on speaking terms with him but at least I'm coming to terms that I control my own destiny and will not fall into the same trap as him. For one thing, I will be a far better dad than he ever was, that I can be 100% sure!

No comments: