Sunday, April 15, 2007

Other memorable movies.....

During my childhood and teenage years, I didn't have much money for movies even though they were much cheaper than the $10 price tag today. Ouch, $10 for a movie is way too high in my opinion. I pity those middle income families who have to bring their whole family plus popcorn and drinks....

Besides Top Secret which I mentioned in my earlier blog, there was this movie titled "Electric Dreams". I cannot recall who starred in it but it had a stupid plot that will be thoroughly slammed if it was screened today. Something about a computer acquiring super artificial intelligence after water was spilled into it. Well, I loved it because it had the nerd-wins-girl type of storyline... Yes, I'm a (stupid) nerd so I always root for the underdog. The soundtrack from that movie was nice.

"Ghostbusters" was another great movie title that is considered iconic from that era. Great cast, storyline, and special effects (for that era). What's not to like. Great movie.

"Tootsie" was another good one that starred Dustin Hoffman. In the movie, the lead actor had to cross-dress as a woman in order to win a starring part in a daytime soap opera. Again, super strong cast and equally good storyline.

Hmmm, seems like I can only remember those so far though I'm sure I have watched far more than that. Maybe next time when I can remember more.

Oh, there is this movie "Empire of the Sun" that I watched during one of the summer holiday when I was in USA. Man, that was torturous because I was all alone in a big country and I had no means of transportation. Ended up I was couped up in my apartment all the time. Sigh, another of those sad days..... Anyway, the movie, which I thought would be boring, was actually very engrossing. The main lead was actually an expatriate kid who happened to be based in China with his wealthy family. It happened that it was close to China's collapse to Japan during Work War II and he ended up eating humble pie after the invasion i.e. had to fight for his survival. The movie only chronicled maybe a couple of years of his life but it was thought provoking to see how he went from a spoilt brat to a street smart kid just because of his instinct to survive. As I said, it was engrossing if you are willing to sit down and let yourself immerse into the movie.

No comments: