Monday, March 12, 2007

Where I lived

I grew up in the east part of the Singapore island. Near Joo Chiat to be exact. That place, circa 1970s, was different. There was NO vice unlike the Joo Chiat of today :). I still remember the row of shophouses along the whole stretch, near where the Dunman Hawker Centre still stands today (albeit after numerous facelifts) all the way to the old wet market was. I think the Joo Chiat Complex is standing on where the old market was.

Although I have never went inside, I think there was an old open air cinema near the old market. Never saw any of the movies but I think it was cheap, something like 50cents? Maybe but I was too young to remember and also my parents never provided me this luxury......

All in all, Joo Chiat still retains most of its charm over the years. Most, if not all, of the shophouses are still around. There are so many interesting tidbits that I will have to update every now and then. Sure wish more "elder" folks can provide more inputs and too bad I don't have any pictures to share.

No comments: