Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Television

Nowadays it is difficult to find any decent family without a television set. Big screen plasma and LCD TVs are the rage in recent years but I grew up starting with a small screen black and-white TVs that took time to warm up after you switched it on. Those were the days....

Of course, I eventually moved on to color TVs (CRT of course) because my dad likes to waste money....

Anyway, I can remember a few of the more popular programmers during the 70s' . Like Combat (starring Vic Morrow!), Little House on the Praire, Hawaii Five-O etc. They were quite enjoyable back then even though I couldn't understand a word since it was before I learned English....

As for the Chinese shows, I remember “声宝之夜”,“家在大巴窑”as the earliest shows that I can recall. Those were locally produced shows that had bare minimum sets that would look very artificial by today's standards. For example, they would probably paste a picture of the city/ Toa Payoh as backdrop rather than an actual locale shot. However the stories were very heart-warming as far as I can recall.

Then there were re-runs of the old back-and-white Hong Kong movies that starred people like ”谢贤”,“陈宝珠”,“ 箫芳芳”,“李香琴”,“肥肥”etc. Nowadays many of those stars are either senior citizens or deceased. Sigh, it means that I'm not too young myself.

No comments: