Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Kintergarten

I actually forgot that I did attend kintergarten before Primary one. Boy, was that one traumatic experience..... For the first several months, I actually cried my way to the place so much so that my grandma had to follow and wait for me outside the classroom on several occasions. I think even the driver got scared of me since I was such a wailer every time he picks me up. There was even one time I literally stretched myself across the front seat and out the passenger door window and scared the shit out of him. He was worried that I may just fling myself out the window...... Poor guy, he probably lost a few years all stressed out by me.

The place, Tanjong Katong Kintergarten, no longer exists but it was located along Tanjong Katong road quite near the church along the same road. A colonial styled house converted into a kintergarten, I think it was a private school as I am 100% sure it was not a PAP one (haha... no lightning). Actually, I have little to no recollection of what I did while I was there. Unlike nowadays, the sessions did not last a full day; I only remembered attending the afternoon sessions.

Can't remember much as I said but two incidents stood out:

1. Everyone have to take a graduation picture at the end of year, me including. Well, the principal had everyone lined up one by one, dressed up in a gown and put on the best smile possible for the camera. She kept telling the ones before me to smile more that I decided to put on my best smile when my turn is up. I probably overdid it and ended up smiling like a clown so much so that they were literally laughing off their feet when they saw my SMILE.

2. There was a graduation performance by the class and I was tasked to be one of the American Indians for the number "Ten Little Indians". I sort of chickened out and just refused to participate in it. Anyway, the boys were dressed only in white crocodile underwears that I was real shy about the whole thing.

All in all, the short one year wasn't anything to shout at but it gave me my first taste of schooling. Years later when I was in my late primary school, the kintergarten probably closed down due to poor business. It was knocked down years later and now a small apartment project stood on where it once was.

No comments: