Saturday, March 24, 2007

Bosom buddies

Let's face it. A person of my character (and physical.. ha) attributes is not going to attract/have many friends, let alone bosom buddies.

In recent years, I can honestly say that I've limited contact, if any, with people other than my colleagues. That in it itself is sad but I've, in most period, gotten used to it and try not to let that bother me very much. In work, you cannot choose your colleagues but along the way, there will be a few who will actually transcend from colleague to a friend or even bosom buddy. This is most certainly possible ever for introverts like myself because you can, no matter how remote, find either like-minded or compatible friends within your circle of colleagues.

So there is this certain (and former) colleague which I recently realised was a very easy person to talk to, to the point of being able/wanting to open up my outlook, thoughts, ideals, interest, and passion etc. The feeling "looks" to be mutual (I hope so else this whole article goes down the drain from here, ha!). This is pretty surprising because of the obvious difference between us in terms of attributes (of everything imaginable thing). Again, don't mean to stigmatise but under normal circumstances, it's like a case of 癞哈蟆想吃天鹅肉. Then again, I wonder if this a case of the other party being mature in thinking and me with a younger outlook relative to my age. Looks like I'm just trying to justify my thoughts.... hahaha....

Anyway, I really wonder if this will/can jeopardise the new friendship if I try to be over-friendly like going for tea, chatting online etc? So much so that the other person may feel irritated and withdraw from this friendship or just build a wall? Again, I think this is possible in all level of relationship (regardless of whether it's with parents, friends, spouse, whoever etc) but I think it is just a waste if such a person is there but you don't try to cultivate and see how far it can grow.

Well, let's just let it take its natural course since I really don't want to ruin a good thing. The way that I look at it, a friend gained and maintained is still then a friend lost forever.

No comments: