Saturday, July 26, 2008

Distant past

Why do I like to stay in the East of the island? Not sure about the zillion of people snapping up properties here (at stupidly high prices I may add) but I was born and brought up in the end. The place just brings back fond memories for me.....

Joo Chiat of 30, 40 years ago was so different..... So much has changed. Growing up there, I remember the places where I either passed by or actually did something. The POSB bank that was near Joo Chiat place, buying stamps to paste to some cardboard thing as a form of savings. The very old library that was before the current Joo Chiat community centre. The barber and mechanic shops near the same location. The playground where the neighborhood police post now sits. The food centre across from it. The 7th month Ghost festivities. Many, many..... Just too many to list.

Childish but I wish I can go back to relive it just once more time. Be a primary student once again.... That will be fun. Don't need to study and yet pass examinations without raising a sweat. The luxury of having the afternoon after school to play with friends. Yes, yes, I am dreaming again.

No comments: