Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The year in review.... Part II

The past year was my first in the capacity of a manager and I must say I don't enjoy the position very much. Workload was so heavy that I was forced to put in far more work hours than before just to keep pace. Coupled with the high (and unreasonable) expectation from the senior management and lack of resources, I find myself being kept in a high state of stress since the later part of last year.

What don't I like? Besides the long working hours, I hate the fact that I still need to be doing (or is expected to do) the same things that I have been doing in my previous capacity. I hate to be the "face" of the department whereby all external functions will come to me for decisions. I hate the weekly and monthly reports and the monthly night calls. I hate to be harassed, more so that ever, on my handphone by people, locally or otherwise. I hate the office politics that is prevalent among the managers; really, I don't know what is there to fight for since the company is so small. I hate the fact that my Inbox is double of what it used to be and I am forced to go through and be aware of the happenings in all areas. I hate the lack of time to grow myself as a manager and the lack of time to learn new knowledge. Lastly, I really hate the lack of compensation for the sacrifices that I have made the last year.

As part of my new year resolution I will (and must) balance work and personal life. A must.... For the sake of my Princess and myself, I must.....

My Princess is "bugging" me now so I will log off now; more to come later....

No comments: